- Key Gun Violence Facts
- Keep Our Homes Safe
- Let's Expand Brady Background Checks
America has a problem with gun violence. Our movie theaters, places of worship, schools, streets, and homes are not safe. And it results in more than 32,000 fatalities every year.
Here are the facts: On average, more than 89 people die from gun violence every day. Two-thirds of those gun deaths are suicides which are three times more likely to happen if there is a gun in the home.
But, did you also know more than 90 percent of Americans support the expansion of Brady background checks to all gun sales? However, only 60 percent of gun sales occur with a background check - the other 40 percent happen no questions asked. Furthermore, about 90 percent of crime guns are traced to only 5 percent of dealers. Additionally 4.6 million children live in a home with an unlocked or loaded gun. And yet our elected representatives in Congress fail to act.
The reality is clear: Background checks work. This is due in large part to the enactment of the Brady Law in 1994, which has blocked over 2.4. million prohibited purchases. Keeping guns locked, unloaded and stored properly, even outside of the home, saves lives. It can decrease the chances of an unintentional shooting, as well as eliminating a child’s access to guns.
Gun laws differ wildly from state to state, but it is a fact that those with weaker gun laws on average lead to more gun deaths. Since the tragedy at Sandy Hook, six states have taken action to enact strong, common sense laws. Today eight states have expanded Brady background checks to cover all gun sales. But that’s only the beginning of our bold vision.
That’s why we need your help to keep up our success in order to keep guns out of criminals’ hands, keep crime guns off our streets, and to keep our families and kids safe. With your dedicated support, we know we can reach our ambitious goal of cutting gun deaths in half by 2025.